Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hobby vs Business

Recently, people have been asking me why I don't set up a business selling my items, or alternatively, if I can make them something, which I have declined to do.

Firstly, because I got back into knitting as a way of creating some work/life balance - knitting on demand would turn my crafting into another job, and would take away some of the pleasure that I get from the process.

I also mainly knit for myself. When I do make something for someone else, it's because I have chosen to. Perhaps if I was a faster knitter, then I could justify using some of my precious knitting time on making items to sell, but instead I prefer to use what time I do have to make things either for myself, or for someone special.

If it was viable, then of course I would love to make some extra money from something that I love doing. But until someone finds a way to add at least 10 more hours to every day, then I'll stick with what I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. I get the same questions around the stuff Sonia knits - Why doesn't she sell them...

    I then ask "hmmm would you pay $6000 for a jumper?" - that's 40 hours of work at $150 per hour...

    A machine knit jumper takes about 30 seconds to knit!

    ReplyDelete